Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Starting Off - Yogurt Cake with Orange

I'm a total rank amateur and I'm going to bake this cake ten thousand times.
To begin with we have this recipe from Cookworm, for Yogurt Cake with Orange.
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
finely grated peel from 1 orange
3 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds

Glaze
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F.
Butter a 9-inch round cake pan or mist with baking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar and orange peel, then whisk in the eggs. Add the flour and baking powder, mixing just until fully incorporated. Add the vegetable oil and mix thoroughly, then pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the sesame seeds.

Bake at 350ยบ for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden and tester comes out clean. As cake is cooling, prepare the glaze.

Heat sugar and orange juice in a saucepan until simmering, simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly reduced. Poke tiny holes in cake with a skewer or toothpick and pour warm glaze over cake - it will sink in and be more like a syrup.


You can find the original post here.

The cake is dense and not too moist. The first time I made this recipe the only difference was that I omitted the sesame seeds, and I baked it in a mini cupcake tin. Since then I've altered it more and more, and I'm going to document my experiments here. Thanks to Ted, for the blog name and the idea.

No comments: