Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Yogurt Cake with Chocolate Chunks

This one was also popular. I like to buy a great big dark chocolate bar and chop it up rather than using chocolate chips, and I find that the cacao nibs really add a lovely crunch and a delicious flavour. You can find them at most any organic grocer or probably health food stores? I used raw sugar for this one, I think.

Yogurt Cake with Chocolate Chunks:

1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
chocolate chips or chunks to taste (I used something more than a cup)
a handful of toasted cacao nibs

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter whatever sort of pan or tin you want to use (like a 9-inch round cake pan which I've never used). In a large bowl, whisk together vanilla, yogurt and sugar, then whisk in eggs. Add flour, and baking powder, mixing just until fully incorporated. Add the oil and mix thoroughly, then the chocolate and cacao nibs. Pour into pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden and toothpick comes out clean. (For mini muffin tins I find 10 minutes does the trick, for regular muffins 20 minutes and for jumbo muffins or mini loaves about 25 minutes, while a whole loaf pan requires more like... 50? I'm not sure, I just keep giving it another five or ten minutes until its done.)

No comments: