Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Yogurt Cake with Spice

This one was a hit. Instead of citrus peel, I flavoured the cake with some warm spices. For this one I used dark brown sugar.

Yogurt Cake with Spice:

1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
sweet spices to taste (cinnamon, cardamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, ginger...)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter whatever sort of pan or tin you want to use (like a 9-inch round cake pan which I've never used). In a large bowl, whisk together vanilla, yogurt and sugar, then whisk in eggs. Add flour, baking powder, and spices, mixing just until fully incorporated. Add the oil and mix thoroughly, then pour into pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden and toothpick comes out clean. (For mini muffin tins I find 10 minutes does the trick, for regular muffins 20 minutes and for jumbo muffins or mini loaves about 25 minutes, while a whole loaf pan requires more like... 50? I'm not sure, I just keep giving it another five or ten minutes until its done.)

There are pictures for this one too.

No comments: