Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Yogurt Cake with Banana

This actually turned out lighter than banana bread. I used Robin Hood "Nutri" flour which is white with bran added back in, in place of half the all-purpose flour. My bananas weren't ripe enough (you want then to be really ripe), but I won't have another chance to bake for a little while so I went ahead anyways. Still turned out pretty good although I got banana chunks rather than banana mush.

Yogurt Cake with Banana:

2 ripe bananas
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
cardamon to taste
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter whatever sort of pan or tin you want to use (like a 9-inch round cake pan which I've never used). In a large bowl, squish banana with your whisk, then whisk together with yogurt and sugar, then whisk in eggs. Add flour, baking powder, and cardamon, mixing just until fully incorporated. Add the oil and mix thoroughly, then pour into pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden and toothpick comes out clean. (For mini muffin tins I find 10 minutes does the trick, for regular muffins 20 minutes and for jumbo muffins or mini loaves about 25 minutes, while a whole loaf pan requires more like... 50? I'm not sure, I just keep giving it another five or ten minutes until its done.)

Next time: 1 cup nutri, 1/2 cup oatmeal.

Pictures!

Banana, yogurt and sugar: Stop! If you taste it now, you will wonder why you have to add anything else! But if you take this to the couch and eat it with a spoon or possibly by sticking your face in the bowl, what will you do tomorrow when you don't have banana cake? Quickly add the eggs before you lose control. Adding the eggs:
Dry ingredients:
Mixed:
Adding the oil:
Mixed:
Baked!

2 comments:

cookworm said...

Wow! I am really impressed at all the variations you've made! What a true homage to the humble yogurt cake. I'll definitely be checking back to see what else you come up with! :)

Laura Jane Hamilton said...

Thanks! And thanks for the recipe, I love it. I definately have some more variations I want to try.