Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Yogurt Pancakes

Making yogurt cake? Fun. Making nothing but yogurt cake? Not fun. So, in the interest of variety, I have made... Yogurt cake. But this time, its yogurt PANcake! I just adapted a normal pancake recipe I found somewhere or other (I forget, fogive me!)

You see, I was thinking about buttermilk pancakes after reading a post about them on a food blog earlier. I've never had a homemade buttermilk pancake, and if I've had one at a restaurant it doesn't matter, as I have never had a restaurant pancake I liked. But they're supposed to be really good, right? With buttermilk? I don't have buttermilk. I don't even have milk. But I do have yogurt. Suddenly, I wanted to eat pancakes. Pancakes with yogurt in them. This is new for me-I've never been a huge fan of pancakes, except the ones my parents sometimes make, most notably my step-dad's amazing cornmeal pancakes. Since living on my own (a few years now) I haven't made pancakes once. I have a feeling that its going to be very different from this point on.

I didn't take pictures, I'm sorry. But I'm thinking I'll be making these again, and next time there WILL be photographs.

I've got to say this was a nice change from ham sandwiches.

Yogurt Pancakes

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 egg
3 tbsp butter, melted

Mix dry ingredients together, then mix in remaining one at a time. Fry on medium heat in a greased pan until golden brown, then flip, brown the other side. You know how to cook pancakes, right?

These pancakes turned out really nice. Very tangy. I think they'd be really good with fruit in them, or with a flavoured yogurt. If you want less tang, though, or a thinner batter, just replace some of the yogurt with milk. However much you want. In fact, if you aren't sure about super tangy pancakes, I would reccomend that. Me? I love the tang.

No comments: